Helpful Planning for your Tour at Vollmer Farm: Before, During and After!
Lots of fun is happening at the Vollmer Farm for field trips! We can't wait to see you this fall with a new curriculum for our visitors!
Before Your Tour
1. Register your class, online, at the "Book Now" button above. If you have questions, call our farm office (919-496-3076 or 919-340-0607) or email email@example.com
Required registration information includes:
2. Note that you will receive an invoice verifying your reservation and estimated headcount by email. If you do not receive this email, please contact the farm office @ 919-496-3076.
3. Two weeks before your trip, please email Fun@VollmerFarm.com with the confirmed number of students, teachers and chaperones that will attend. Please list the teacher/chaperon names with the number of children they are assigned for the tour. (We understand small changes in attendance may occur; however, this step helps avoid unnecessary chaos on the day of your tour).
4. Gather all admission money (students & parents) ahead of time- $15.00 per student, $5.00 per parent. The total amount owed including tax will be collected when your group arrives for the tour. Please make these arrangements according to your standard school policies and procedures.
5. Please take time to discuss farming and plant science with your students before the tour. Please use our great Teacher Resources suggestions and links to get your students prepared to learn about the environment, NC agriculture, and fresh food sources.
6. Please send a note home to let students/parents know to dress in play clothes and tennis shoes the day of the tour. No open toe shoes allowed for safety reasons.
7. Cancellations: If you must cancel your trip for reasons other than weather, you must give us at least TWO WEEK notice.
On Your Tour Day at Vollmer Farm
1. Please be ON TIME. You should plan to arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled tour to allow time for registration and group organization. This is very important to make sure your tour goes smoothly.
2. Come in the main entrance of the farm—you will see a large Vollmer Farm sign by the highway entrance. Go straight down the path to the back of the farm. Do not turn right to the market.
3. You will be greeted by our staff and will be directed to where you will begin. Please bring payment, on the day of the tour unless paid online, for your entire group, including additional parents and siblings. One designated teacher should bring all admission fees to the Market. Please note that any increases to your confirmed headcount will need to be paid at this time.
4. Classes should line up according to their assigned group/class and will be guided from this point forward by a designated Vollmer Farm tour guide.
5. Students, parents, and teachers will learn fun and educational topics such as forestry, NC crops, and sustainable agriculture. The Vollmer Farm provides a unique variety of aspects visitors are able to experience while on the field trip.
6. When your farm tour is complete, your tour guide will direct you to the Back Forty play area where you can enjoy all of the fun activities included with your tour. We have allotted every group plenty of time to play and eat lunch after tours and classroom activities are done.
7. The farm will close at 2:00 p.m. All tour groups must leave the farm by this time. Please make sure your group collects all belongings, including jackets, lunch boxes, etc. before leaving.
After Your Tour
- Continue to use the Teacher Resources page for great ideas on integrating students’ field trip learnings and experiences into your ongoing curriculum.
- Please complete our tour survey. We always want to hear about your experiences so that we can do more of what you like and improve where we can.
- Help us spread the word about Vollmer Farm! We rely on word-of-mouth referrals to other teachers and families to keep our family farm open. If you would, remind your students that they can visit Vollmer Farm with their families during the Spring and Fall seasons. Families should make sure to check our website hours for when the Back Forty and Market/Café is open to the public.
- Book your next tour early! Fall and Spring dates always fill up fast! And teachers, please come see us with your own families. We would love to see you again soon at Vollmer Farm!